What Is Weight Management?
Weight management is about adopting a healthy lifestyle, which incorporates the benefits of following a nourishing diet, with movement and regular exercise, in order to balance the body’s energy expenditure and energy intake.
Weight management is important whether you want to achieve weight loss, weight gain or simply maintain an optimal body weight for your age, sex and height.
Food and eating can be a minefield for many people. We pick up so many conflicting messages about eating from our family, friends, culture and media, it is no wonder that making decisions around food can fill us with anxiety.
Our weight management services support you in developing healthy eating behaviours that are adjusted to your current health profile, weight loss or weight gain goals and the unique work and social structure of your life.
On this page, you can find out more about different aspects of weight management, and factors that might be influencing your success in reaching your weight goals.
For many of us, weight loss can be a frustrating experience. You may want to lose weight to improve health or manage illness, or you may dislike your body shape and want to feel more comfortable in yourself.
You may have tried many diets in the past, and found yourself stuck in a cycle of losing weight and then eventually regaining it, perhaps heavier than before. This vicious cycle can affect your vitality levels and reduce your motivation.
Our mindset, habits and emotional soothing are all connected to how and what we eat. The graphic below describes some of the factors that may be impacting your ability to lose weight.
WEIGHT LOSS TREATMENT
Weight loss counselling and psychotherapy can help you work through the social, emotional and behavioural factors that have impacted your weight loss journey.
Sessions may include:
- Exploring the origins of unhelpful thinking patterns, feelings and behaviours
- Breaking old habits and updating broken thinking
- Processing experiences from our past that have influenced our relationship with food
- Building self-esteem and confidence, and improving your relationship with your body
- Promoting emotional resilience and regulation to help you cope with difficult situations.
Nutritional support can help you achieve long-term, sustainable weight loss. Yoyo dieting can result in imbalances in our underlying nutrition that can impact our ability to lose weight.
Our nutrition team can work with you to implement a plan that maintains adequate levels of energy and nutrients. This plan will be designed for your body, taking into account your lifestyle and exercise levels, metabolism, gut health and health status.
The mind and body are connected. We believe that a holistic approach is particularly effective to help you achieve your weight loss goals and redefine your relationship with food.
Our integrated programme, Shrink, combines 6 psychotherapy sessions and 4 nutrition sessions, to help you improve your wellbeing and health.
WEIGHT MAINTENANCE TREATMENT
Counselling can help you manage your weight and stabilise your eating patterns by exploring factors that have contributed to these fluctuations.
Sessions may include:
- Understanding and bringing your thoughts and feelings into awareness
- Processing identity and life transitions, and disentangling your relationship with food from these events
- Developing coping strategies to help you cope with future life changes and protect your relationship with food and eating
Nutritional support can help you regain control over your food and eating patterns, to help you maintain a steady weight.
This might include nutrition and lifestyle management coaching, to help you create healthy eating habits and optimise your nutritional status.
Dietitians can work with you to develop a bespoke meal plan, providing you with a structure to balance out nutritional deficiencies and help you reach your health goals.
WEIGHT GAIN TREATMENT
The graphic below shows the different factors that are important to consider when slowly bringing the body back to optimal levels of health and wellbeing.
Our nutrition team will consider these factors, looking at the body as a whole system, and will help you build the nutritional foundations to achieve your optimal weight and greater levels of health and wellbeing.
Nutritional Therapy sessions may include:
- Reviewing your health history and timeline
- Arranging functional tests to explore the underlying imbalances in your biochemistry and physiology that may have developed following malnutrition
- Making nutritional recommendations based on your profile and preferences
- Nutrition and lifestyle coaching to support you in making long-term progress
HELP WITH WEIGHT MANAGEMENT
Do you ever ask yourself any of these questions?
- What is enough food for my body size?
- How much do I need to eat if I am exercising and want to lose weight?
- What is the best food to eat at breakfast?
- How can I eat, have energy and still lose weight?
- Which foods promote fullness?
- How can I eat right for my medical condition?
- How much weight do I need to lose to change my symptoms?
- What is the best food to eat before going to the gym?
- How can I eat to gain weight sensibly?
- What can I eat to decrease my cravings and bingeing episodes?
Then our weight management programme can provide you with guidelines and principles to help you structure your eating and exercise, leading you to optimal health, weight, wellness and happiness.
Learn more about Weight Management
Here are some articles and blogs about weight management