What Is Body Image?
Body image refers to how you personally perceive the appearance of your body in terms of size and shape, as well as, how you feel about your body features.
Your body perception evolves throughout the lifespan and it is influenced by societal and cultural factors. If you feel bad about your body, you may experience body dissatisfaction.
This can have a negative impact on your self-esteem and self-worth, causing anxiety and low mood.
Factors That Influence Body Image
Body dissatisfaction can develop as a result of various environmental factors, such as the family, friends, work colleagues and the media.
People that are in environments where physical appearance plays a particularly important role, or people who receive negative comments about their looks, have a higher chance of experiencing body distress.
Body Image & Childhood
For many people their poor body image can be connected back to traumatic events and feelings from their past.
Beliefs and decisions that were made back then, continue to recycle in the here and now, creating ongoing anxiety and body image distress in social settings and in relationships with others.
The media often falsely represents an ‘ideal’ body portrait which people try to adhere to, creating unrealistic expectations harder.
REMOTE SESSIONS – WORKING ONLINE WITH OUR TEAM
The current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) global situation is affecting us all.
We understand that the uncertainty and disruption to daily life this brings, can be an extra burden for people who are already struggling with their eating, weight and mental health.
All of our therapists are experienced in delivering remote sessions using Zoom, Skype and FaceTime, which means your therapy can continue online without disruption.
Our four central London locations currently remain open, and we are happy to see you in person as well.
Please book a call with our friendly and experienced assessment team who can explain how remote sessions can work for you.
Each year, in acknowledgement of Eating Disorder Awareness Week (2nd-8th March 2020), we have a Spring Promotion to provide greater access to our services.
We want to support people, who struggle with their weight and eating behaviour, change the mechanisms and patterns that are keeping them stuck.
Our experience tells us this can be achieved through psychological support, nutritional support, or a combination of both.
Purchase a 6-session block of therapy, and get 1 session FREE
Purchase any nutrition package, and get 1 session FREE
- This offer is available with all of our therapists, at all price points
- This offer is available to new WM clients only
- Offer ends on 31st March 2020
Body Image & Health
Severe weight loss following weight loss surgery, or weight loss due to illnesses such as cancer or digestive disorders, can lead to extreme changes in the way people look.
In these examples, body image distress is linked with health and lifestyle.
Body Image Treatment
At WeightMatters we can help you improve your relationship with your body, and increase your confidence and self-esteem.
- We will explore the situations from your past that have made an impact on your body image, and how they still affect you today
- We can identify which events and situations trigger you to have negative body image thoughts and emotions
- We can teach you how to experience and name your emotions, so that you don’t use food and eating to push them away
- We can uncover assumptions and distortions in your thinking style, and show you how to create new positive thoughts about your body image
- We will support you as you build greater confidence to deal with social situations
- We will teach you how to ‘turn down the volume’ on your inner critical voice, and show you how to experience your body without judgement