“Food can become a way to cope with emotions and the repetition of this coping mechanism can become a habitual behavioural pattern and an addiction.”
Counsellor, Neelam Zahid
I am an integrative psychotherapist and counsellor and an accredited member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). I also have training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which is, in simple terms, how the way you think affects the way you feel. Any negative thoughts are challenged and alternative thoughts are substituted. This is particularly useful for weight management and/or eating disorders.
Food plays a vital role in our lives. Our personal relationship with food may change from time to time, (having cravings, losing our appetite or eating too much), but eating disorders are very different. They can be detrimental to both physical and emotional health, and even be life-threatening.
My approach is a combination of my training in counselling and psychotherapy and what is presented by the client. We will explore many aspects of concern including but not limited to where it all began, family history, challenging negative thinking through CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and finding a way forward. There will be appropriate homework to enhance the work done together and we will explore any resistances and fears.
I will provide a safe, private and non-judgemental space in which to work together.
I have a particular interest in dreams which, I believe, is a way into the subconscious. I would be happy in helping you interpret your dreams and discover the messages within.
DAYS I’M AVAILABLE AT WEIGHTMATTERS
Here are the days I can see you in person or connect with you remotely
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- 2022 Porn & Sex Addiction Training; Working with Eating Disorders; Bereavement Awareness
- 2021 Online & Telephone Counselling; Frontline-19 Volunteering; Polyvagal Theory
- 2020 – Transpersonal Ecopsychology inquiry group; Waking up as a member of the Ecosystem; Narcissism & Its Disorders; Addictions: Lasting Change; Eating Disorders & Obesity; 1,000 hrs of volunteering with NHS Check In and Chat; How to do counselling online (a coronavirus primer) OU; Sharing Confidential Client Information
- 2019 – Panic Attacks; Attachment in the early years; Rewind Trauma Therapy
- 2018 – Dreams to Reality II; Life Coaching; Cognitive Psychological First Aid
- 2017- Homelessness and Health; National Emergency Response Resilience and Support Programme for Stress & Trauma; Empowering Professionals to work with Refugee and Asylum Seeking Women; Suicide Intervention Training
- 2016 – Basic Life Support; Introduction to Attachment Theory
- 2015 -Teaching Clients Mindfulness Skills; Safeguarding Adults
- 2014 – Psychosocial Care After Traumatic Incidents; EAP Foundations Training Course; Attachment Theory & PTSD
- 2012 – Anger with live CBT Demonstration; Live CBT Demonstration with Professor Windy Dryden; Attract More Clients; Imago Couples Workshop
- 2011 – Understanding Anger Disorders; Managing Onsite Critical Incidents
- 2010 – CBT Approach to Managing Menopausal Symptoms; Counselling Assessments
- 2009 – CBT Diploma – Oxford College
- 2009 – Child Protection training
- 2008 – Core Evaluation System training
- 2007 – Mindfields College: Effective Anger Management
- 2005 – AWPCCP – Workshop: CBT. Application in Primary Care Counselling
- 2004 – CCPE Workshop: DSM IV Introduction & DSM IV Anxiety
- 2003 – CCPE Workshop: DSM IV Eating Disorders
- 2002 – CCPE Workshop: DSM IV Mood Disorders, DSM IV Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders & DSM IV Personality Disorders
- 2002 – AWPCCP – Workshop: Working within a Time Limit
- 2001 – AWPCCP – Workshop: Confidentiality, Note Taking & the Law
- 2000 – Marylebone PCG Mental Health Trust Workshop: Depression
- 1992-1995 CCPE: Diploma in Psychotherapy (Transpersonal)
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- UKCP (fully accredited member)
HOW I OFFER PSYCHOTHERAPY
I work with clients across the UK using Skype, WhatsApp Video & Zoom and will offer face to face sessions as soon as it is safe to do so. There is no need to travel, and you can feel comfortable in your own home. It is free to set up and simple to use, so why not give it a try?
I offer sessions in English
LET US EXPLAIN HOW WE CAN SUPPORT YOU
Book a call with our friendly assessment team, who can listen to your story, help you find the right practitioner, and book you in for a discovery session to meet with one of our therapists.
We value being clear and open about our prices, so please check Our Fees before booking a call.